Friday, 24 March 2017

Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities at the moment

Another inauguration speech by an American president, this time Franklin D. Roosevelt.



And this was the speech that quoted his "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". Grim days in 1933 and there was much to fear for. "Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities at the moment" he said also in his speech. And what fear does to your behaviour is Fight, Flight or Freeze.



And yes, there is a choice in Fight or Flight, but these instincts are strong and often it is imprinted in our character. So it's not easy to do something against your instincts, and it's certainly not as easy as in the blackboard above.

But after we had time to reflect on it, we should do the right thing. The right thing is not always to fight, sometimes it's just common sense to freeze or flight. But "Face everything and Rise" is good advice I try to follow. I recently had at work a situation were I had to face my fear. And this time I faced everything and rose. But doing things yesterday is no promise for doing things tomorrow.

We live in a dangerous world right now. Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities at the moment. But we should not be lead by fear. There are more people dying from the results of smoking then there are of terrorism. Don't let terror define your life. We always have that choice.

6 comments:

  1. I do have a tendency to fight unless I'm triggered and then I freeze...have worked hard to overcome that freeze instinct. Really do like Fear Everything And Rise.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fight, Flight of Freeze is on instinct I think Cat. I also like the Fear Everything and Rise. I think it's appropriate for you Cat.

      Han.

      Delete
  2. Good words to ponder and sound advice in these times of uncertainty. hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can learn so much from history, Abby. But few of us are really interested in it. And certainly not those who have the power authorized to them to make the decisions.

      Han

      Delete
  3. I like the Face Everything definition better. Everything comes around eventually, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What comes around comes around, so run like hell. If you look around you that is what a lot of people do. At least the people I know.

      Han

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...